Friday, February 19, 2016

Tasting--Idwe Pinotage


















Name: Idwe
Variety: Pinotage
Region: Coastal Region of Western Cape
Country: South Africa
Year: 2013
Price: Regular $12, Sale $5.95

Winery Review: 

-" A disclaimer: I have never cared much for Pinotage, the indigenous South African grape variety, but this 2013 Pinotage from Indwe, named after the country's national bird, the blue crane, comes across like a light Pinot Noir. Subtle notes of cherries, spice and forest floor are followed by a round, light to medium-bodied, pure, seductive, well-crafted wine. Drink now-2016."   
 


My Review:

-88 Points

-I was very excited to try this wine, as I have heard that pinotage is a relatively new (within the last 100 years) varietal of grape grown exclusively in South Africa. This wine had a deep smell equatable to dark berries (cherries, blackberries, etc.) with hints of earthy tones and vegetables. To the taste, I got cherry with hints of vanilla and spice. I tried this wine on its own without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment